Sunday, April 3, 2016

The New York Mets season begins Sunday night



The New York Mets will begin their season tonight against the defending champion Kansas City Royals in Kansas City, Missouri.  The game will be at 835PM on ESPN and it will be the same two teams that ended the season last season as they were in the World Series but it ended in New York.  Matt Harvey will get the start for the Mets. 

I am expecting the Mets to do big things again this year.  I do think that the Washington Nationals will probably be better and are a dangerous team but the Mets just have too much pitching.  They have an embarrassment of riches with the pitching.  Harvey, Jacob deGrom, Noah Syndergaard, Steven Matz and Bartolo Colon and then Zach Wheeler will be back in June or July.  That is impressive, best rotation in baseball in my mind without a doubt and they are all young too other then Colon who will move to the pen once Wheeler returns.  The Mets offense should be better this year as well with Yoenis Cespedes there for a whole year, I think Neil Walker and Asdrubal Cabrera were nice pickups and Wilmer Flores should be a good backup. 

I don't think the Mets offense has to be that good for them to win since the pitching is so good but they should be good enough to win most games.  The bullpen is probably the one weakness but Antonio Bastardo and Jerry Blevins should help.  They have a budding star in closer Jeurys Familia and I don't expect him to regress this season. 

I would expect the Mets to win their division and at least get back to the NLCS if not further.  I am predicting the division and wild cards at this point though and then at the end of the season I will make my postseason picks.  I am taking the Mets in the NL East, Chicago Cubs in the NL Central and San Francisco Giants in the NL West.  My wild card picks are the Washington Nationals and Arizona Diamondbacks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template