Saturday, March 20, 2010
- Today is the 4th of 7 spring matchups these 2 teams will play. The Mets are 3-0 against the Cardinals so far.
- Fernando Martinez leads the grapefruit league with a 500 batting average, 969 slugging percentage and 16 hits. He is tied for second with 31 total bases. He is tied for third with 3 homeruns, tied for 5th with 11 rbi. He is tied for 1st with 2 triples.
- Pat Misch ran his scoreless streak to 9 games and in 4 games he has allowed 4 hits and struck out 5.
- This season marks the 22nd year the Mets have held spring training in Port St. Lucie. There are only 8 major league teams that have trained at their sites longer. The teams are the Cubs, Athletics, Giants, Tigers, Astros, Phillies, Pirates and Blue Jays.
I will have the lineup up as soon as possible, but it isn't available yet.
UPDATE:12:12PM-Here is the Mets lineup for today.
Gary Matthews Jr.(CF)
- Nick Johnson leads the team with 3 homeruns and is tied for second in rbi with 6. Robinson Cano leads the team with a 393 batting average, that is for those with a minimum of 25 plate appearances.
- Sergio Mitre and CC Sabathia are tied for the lead in innings pitched with 14. Mitre also leads the team with 14 strikeouts. The Yankees lead the grapefruit league in attendance. Through 9 home games they have attracted 94,030 visitors.
- Nick Swisher has a 7 game hitting streak where he has gone 8-20 which is a 400 average. Jorge Posada has gone 9 for his last 16 which is a 563 batting average. He also has 4 rbi and 5 runs in his last 6 games.
- Robinson Cano has hit safely in 7 of his last 10 games and has mulitple hits in 4 of those games.
Friday, March 19, 2010
Thursday, March 18, 2010
- Alfredo Aceves will make the start on Saturday against the Houston Astros.
- CC Sabathia will start tomorrow at home and Sergio Mitre on the road, Chad Gaudin will pitch in relief of Mitre.
- The pitchers who are scheduled behind Vazquez today are Dave Robertson, Chan Ho Park, Dustin Moseley, Mark Melancon, Romulo Sanchez and Boone Logan.
- The players coming off of the bench for the Yankees are Austin Romine(C), Jon Weber(1B), Reegie Corona(2B), Kevin Russo(SS), Eduardo Nunez(3B), Colin Curtis(LF), Greg Golson(CF), Reid Gorecki(RF), P.J. Pilittere(DH).
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
- Andy Pettitte had this to say "I threw a lot of good stuff, a lot of good pitches. My location I thought was fairly good. The balls that they hit, were just balls that I just didn't quite finish on a couple of them."
- Damaso Marte said he is fine after getting hit by a line drive off of Ryan Howards bat. Joe Girardi asked him if he had Bud Seligs signature on his back and he said no just seams.
- Andy Pettitte threw 55 pitches, 36 of them were strikes and Joba threw 47 in the game and about another 15 in the bullpen afterwards.
- Andy Pettitte and Joba Chamberlain are on the same schedule so Joe Girardi said that there is a good chance that Andy Pettitte will pitch in a minor league game in his next start so Joba can make another start
- Tomorrow night against the Rays none of the 5th starter candidates will pitch. Joe Girardi said we will see some of the relievers. Dave Robertson and Chan Ho Park are expected to pitch. Javier Vazquez will start the game.
- Brett Gardner cut his hair short again, maybe he is hoping for good luck or something.
- Jason Hirsh threw in the bullpen this morning.
- Here are the players that will come off of the bench for the Yankees: Mike Rivera(C), Juan Miranda(1B), Reegie Corona(2B),Eduardo Nunez(SS),Jorge Vazquez(3B), Jaime Hoffman(LF), Reid Gorecki(CF), David Winfree(RF), Jon Weber(DH).
- Here is what Joe Girardi said about Joba "I told him, just pitch. Do what you have to do. We're not expecting you to work on things anymore, we are expecting you to compete, show us what you got." I think those are pretty strong words for him and if he struggles once again I think he will be in the bullpen sooner then later. Joe Girardi said yesterday he would like to figure this out by next week and will start eliminating candidates 1 or 2 at a time.
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
- Mariano Rivera had the bases loaded in his one inning of work. Here is what he had to say "It's good because you're out there throwing your pitches,working. It isn't 6,7,8 pitches, you need to throw to build you." He also added that it is like night and day how he feels now to how he felt last year at this time. He was coming off of surgery last season. He is scheduled to pitch on Friday which is a split squad and there was joking from the media on him going on the road. He of course never goes on the road in spring training.
- Burnett wasn't very happy with his outing. Jorge Posada was telling him that he was throwing his best changeup yet but Burnett was more focused on his fastball. He said he has to have command of that because it is his bread and butter. He said he knows he has a good hook but he needs his fastball to be successful. He said in his pen he is going to throw about 30 4 seamers down and away, he said he has to get back to that.