Saturday, March 27, 2010
Girardi has said time and again that his relievers have to earn their spot but he basically said that Joba will have a spot. "The assumption is that he will pitch at a high level and earn his spot." As for a role he isn't saying he will be in the 8th inning but did say this "You'd like to see someone lock it down, there are a lot of quality arms down there that could do it."
Joba will pitch one inning today and may get in back to back games before the end of spring but Girardi said it isn't a necessity.
Here is what Girardi said about his teams losing record this spring "If you're getting the pitching, then to me, that hitting is going to come." I would agree with him I don't pay too much attention to the record. If the pitchers are doing well and getting stronger that is all that really matters. The hitters are behind the pitchers and the full lineup isn't really together, this week they should all be playing regular and almost full games, that is when you look at it more, especially the last few games.
Joe Girardi said the decision to start Granderson in Center or left hasn't been made. He said he has just observed and hasn't put a lot of thought into it yet.
Enjoy the game everyone, remember it is televised on the yes network.
Friday, March 26, 2010
Thursday, March 25, 2010
Wednesday, March 24, 2010
- Joe Girardi said that they haven't made a decision on the 5th starter yet. He said he isn't sure if they will announce it tomorrow either. He said he is meeting with the staff tonight. He said he thinks that everyone has a feeling but that he wants to listen to their opinions before he formulates a decision. He said it is the right thing to do. I agree with him but I think it will be pretty unanimous for Phil Hughes.
- He said that he hasn't decided on Granderson in center either although he was there tonight. Joel Sherman tweeted that this decision was made and I believe him but Girardi said this isn't the case. Maybe they didn't tell the players yet and that is why he is saying that. I would guess it will be Granderson though with Gardner in left. It is easier to move him out of left and get someone else if he doesn't perform.
- Girardi said the only other decisions are should they carry a second lefty in the pen? Who is going to be the right handed bat off of the bench? I don't see who else it would be other then Marcus Thames unless a wild card makes it but I doubt it. I don't think they will carry the second lefty with Mitre, Aceves going to the pen.
- This is what Girardi said about Doc Goodens arrest "Your heart goes out to him, I don't have any details, that is the first I have heard of it, but your heart goes out to him. He was a great teammate. Doc and I will always be linked because we played on a championship team and had a no-hitter together. If you didn't know it was the 1996 season. I loved playing with Doc, he was great to be around and a great teammate. You hope that everything is ok."
- Alfredo Aceves will start the game tomorrow with Amaury Sanit, Dave Robertson, Chan Ho Park, Sergio Mitre and Zack Segovia all scheduled to make the trip. Almost all position players are making the trip, the only ones who aren't going are Curtis Granderson, Jorge Posada, Mike Rivera and Brett Gardner.