Saturday, March 13, 2010
- Kevin Russo will get to play shortstop today, he is trying to make a run at the major league utility job. I am still betting on Ramiro Pena getting that job but you never know what could happen.
- A.J. Burnett, Mark Melancon and Phil Hughes are each scheduled to throw side sessions today.
- Derek Jeter, Mark Teixeira and Nick Swisher will all go on back to back roadtrips. They are going to Lakeland today and Bradenton tomorrow.
Yankees Lineup(Home Game)
Yanks Lineup(Road Game)
Chad Gaudin will start this game and Javier Vazquez starts the home game.
Friday, March 12, 2010
- The Yankees after 2 rain outs in a row are going to play split squad games tomorrow. Javier Vazquez will start at home against Baltimore and Alfredo Aceves,Dave Robertson and Royce Ring will pitch in relief of him. Chad Gaudin is going to pitch the road game against the Pirates and Sergio Mitre and Boone Logan are also scheduled to pitch. Zach Segovia and Amaury Sanit will also make the trip.
- Here are some quotes about Joba Chamberlain and Phil Hughes. Pitching coach Dave Eiland said "We're looking for certain things, regardless of what day they pitch,whether they pitch the same day or not." He said it isn't just about the numbers, it is the quality of the pitch. It is working ahead in the count, first pitch strikes, command, stuff, how economical are they?? Are there long at bats? Are the balls hard hit? He said you can go out and pitch a few innings with lasers being hit all over the field but give up no hits or runs, that doesn't mean you made good pitches though.
- Here are the position players making the trip tomorrow: Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Mark Teixeira,Kevin Russo, Eduardo Nunez,Jorge Vazquez,Nick Swisher,Marcus Thames,Reid Gorecki,Jaime Hoffman,David Winfree,Francisco Cervelli,Jose Gil,Mike Rivera and Austin Romine.
- Curtis Granderson was scheduled to make his first start in left today. Joe Girardi said he did not know if he will be in left tomorrow but knows he will be sharing the outfield with Brett Gardner.
- Cervelli said he felt "nothing" with his head after taking batting practice. He said "We will see tomorrow."
- CC Sabathia is still scheduled to start on Sunday. Mariano Rivera and Damaso Marte are making their spring debuts on Tuesday. Chan Ho Park will throw batting practice tomorrow and make his first appearance next week.
- The minor league games start on March 18th and Joe Girardi said that they will send some of the rotation candidates there to get some innings.
Thursday, March 11, 2010
Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Tuesday, March 9, 2010
Monday, March 8, 2010
Sunday, March 7, 2010
- Francisco Cervelli will be examined today by a team doctor at the minor league complex. The minor leaguers are taking their physicals today. He will see a neurologist tomorrow, the Yankees are being extra careful with him which is a good thing. If everything goes well he will hopefully be back by Tuesday or Wednesday.
- Tony Pena is not with the team today as he has the flu. He will see a doctor and I hope it isn't what Joba had and it will spread through the team.
- Joe Girardi wasn't too concerned with Andrew Brackman struggling with his command yesterday. He said "His mechanics are a lot cleaner then they were." Chan Ho Park will throw live BP tomorrow along with Mariano Rivera and Damaso Marte. Park could get into a game by next weekend if not sooner.
- The Yankees have a split squad tomorrow and Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Curtis Granderson and Randy Winn are among the players heading to Bradenton to face the Pirates. Alfredo Aceves will get the start. Javier Vazquez will get the start at home against the Phillies.
The game is not being televised at all today. You can follow along at http://yankees.lhblogs.com/ or at http://mlb.com/ The Lohud Blog does a good job with the updating of what is going on during the game. I will have the postgame recap, notes and comments as always so check back later on tonight.