Thursday, April 2, 2009

Yankees New Home

The Yankees had a beautiful day to workout in their new home. There were a bunch of players who couldn't wait and when them got home last night went right to the stadium even before going home. Sam Borden has a nice video tour of the stadium on lohud.com and there is a lot of information from Kevin Delvaney who covered the workout today for Peter Abraham who was off today. You can also get a great feel over at http://yesnetwork.com They have lots of pictures and reaction. I am going to start with the players reaction, I will have my own reaction and thoughts about the new stadium and may try to give a tour with pictures and words. Joe Girardi: "“Last night when we walked in, it felt like it was Christmas morning. Just listening to players talk about it, and the excitement of visiting every nook and cranny in the ballpark and in our clubhouse, it’s an unbelievable building.” Andy Pettitte: “I was out there last night and, the dimensions, it looks exactly like the old ball park. You just look from the dugout, it looks like it’s going to play big in left and there’s a short porch in right. “Obviously you walk through the door and see this, the clubhouse. Just the facilities we have, how beautiful everything is and the lighting, it’s state-of-the-art. For me, I’m a big-time whirlpool guy. We have unbelievable facilities as far as swimming. It’s just unbelievable.” Joba Chamberlain: “You’re kind of in awe at first. It’s like having a new toy. You want to come in and play with everything. “It’s going to be a little bit different because you have to get adjusted to the backdrop. You have to adjust. Your depth perception is different everywhere you go. So we’re going to have to get out there on the mound and just get your surroundings.” Derek Jeter: “Homefield advantage is in the crowd. Our fans are always going to be the same. The atmosphere is what makes it fun for the players, so I expect it to be the same as it’s always been.” Mark Teixera: “It’s special to be a part of this. It’s going to be the greatest the sports venue in the world. We’re going to be excited to be playing on it for a long time. “I loved playing in the old stadium. It was my favorite place to come to as a visiting player and I’m going to miss it. But when you come in here, it makes you forget about the nostalgia a little bit.” Johnny Damon: “You could see by the looks on some of our faces that Christmas came a little bit early this year. My first thoughts were that we’re very fortunate to have a place like this. The old Yankee Stadium was definitely very special. This player is special from the moment you walk into it. As a player, you’re fortunate to put on the Yankee pinstripes and have this nice new ballpark.” I am lucky enough to be going to the game saturday and as I said before will provide a preview of the stadium. I also lucked out as Saturday is the better day, it doesn't look good for tomorrow and who knows what will happen if they can't play. I wonder also if they want to risk health of pitchers on a wet mound?? I guess we have to wait and see what happens. Saturday is going to be nice but windy which I will take over the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template