Monday, January 12, 2009

Yankees React to Rickey

The New York Yankees issued some statements today regarding Rickeys induction into the Hall Of Fame. I first was alerted to these thanks to Peter Abraham of http://yankees.lhblogs.com. Here we go George Steinbrenner-"There was only one Rickey Henderson in baseball. He was the greatest leadoff hitter of all time. I consider him a great friend with tremendous spirit and a true yankee." I am not sure of the true Yankee thing but he was fun Willie Randolph-"Rickey and I have been friends for a long time, and i am ecstatic for him. I have been fortunate and blessed to have played with a great number of phenomenal baseball players but pound-for-pound,Rickey Henderson is the best I have ever played beside. No one was able to impact the course of a game in as many ways as Rickey. This is a great day for him and I can't wait to hear his acceptance speech." It is too bad that they didn't have any pitching when they played together with the Yanks. Dave Winfield and Ken Griffey Sr also chimed in, you can take a look at what they had to say over on Peters Blog. I can't wait to hear his acceptance speech either, he was a true charachter. I remember going to the games when he was playing left field and he would be talking to us in the middle of the game. He would also tie his shoe in the middle of a pitch, just classic stuff. I remember going to see him years later in Port St Lucie when he was a met and sitting right behind home plate and yelling to him and all, he acknowledged me, he was always a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Resistance Bands is a Free Blogger Template